- Definition: pneumonia that occurs 48 hours or more after admission and did not appear to be incubating at the time of admission.
- HCAP Removed because many patients who met criteria were in fact not at increased risk for multi-drug resistant organisms, MDROs
- Recommended antibiotics: anti-pseudomonal +/- double pseudomonal coverage +/- MRSA coverage
- MRSA Risks: abx use IV abx in past 90 days, unit where prevalence of MRSA among S. aureus isolates is not known or >20%. No recommendations regarding use of MRSA swab to guide need for MRSA coverage.
- Non-invasive Sputum cultures recommended to guide therapy
- Duration: 7 days
- New CAP guidelines (to include patients from nursing homes) are pending.